objections to multiplex cinema development
Crystal Palace Park is a Grade II* listed
historic park, with 200 acres of Metropolitan Open Land set in a
conservation area. The top-site is a tree-lined ridge of strategic
landscape importance to London, set at the highest point in South
London. The site is surrounded by residential suburbs.
The proposal is for a building twice the size
of a football stadium, with rooftop car parking for 950 cars accessed
by vehicle ramps leading to a new highway infrastructure within the
The objections to this are:
- It will destroy the peaceful atmosphere
of this Park - for all ages of users.
- The commercialism of the site is out of
keeping with the historic nature of the Park.
- It involves the loss of 12 acres of
Metropolitan Open Land, which South East London can ill
- It will cause the loss of 200
- It will replace the London wide views of
a tree-lined ridge with views of a sky-line car park.
- It will bring substantial traffic into
the Park itself.
- It will increase traffic in an already
congested neighbourhood, which has no strategic roads and is a
frequent traffic black spot.
- It will create night time noise and
- It will increase the pollution in the
- It will harm local trade.
- It will overwhelm the adjoining village
of Norwood by virtue of its size and concentration of
- The design of the building itself is